Harrisburg, PA - The Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission (PFBC) is seeking nominations for the 2008 Ralph W. Abele Conservation Heritage Award, the highest recognition conferred by the agency.
Nominations are currently being accepted until February 13, 2009.
The PFBC established the Abele Award to recognize citizens of Pennsylvania who have made outstanding contributions to the protection, conservation and enhancement of the aquatic resources of the Commonwealth. The award serves as a memorial to Ralph Abele, longtime Commission Executive Director, for his steadfast and courageous work in protecting and conserving our natural resources.
All nominees should have dedicated an exceptional amount of time and energy to the conservation of the state's natural resources, specifically the aquatic resources, through one or more of the following accomplishments:
- Personally invested heavily in the long-term education of Pennsylvania's youth on conservation issues vital to an improved aquatic environment.
- Put at risk their person and livelihood to undertake public activities and positions on behalf of improving and protecting the aquatic resources of Pennsylvania.
- Led a regional or statewide environmental effort that has been recognized for its duration and success in protecting and enhancing the aquatic resources of Pennsylvania.
- Played a leading role in reclaiming and enhancing a major significant natural water resource within the Commonwealth.
- Led an effort to pass major environmental legislation for the protection, conservation and enhancement of the natural environment of Pennsylvania.
- Brought national recognition to Pennsylvania through personal activities, actions and contributions to the aquatic resources.
The nominations for this award should describe, in a maximum of three typewritten pages, the following:
- Biographical information.
- How the nominee meets the categories for recognition.
- Specific accomplishments of the nominee.
- Affiliations of the nominee.
- Additional information to warrant award of this honor.
Submission of letters supporting the nomination or other endorsements of a nominee is not part of the nomination process. Employees and active Commissioners of the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission are not eligible for this award, but they are encouraged to submit nominations.
Nominations should be submitted to Executive Office, Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission, PO Box 67000, Harrisburg, PA 17106-7000. Nominations should be postmarked no later than February 13, 2009.
The award winner will be recognized at a special ceremony at PFBC headquarters in conjunction with an upcoming Commission meeting.
The mission of the Fish and Boat Commission is to protect, conserve, and enhance the Commonwealth’s aquatic resources and provide fishing and boating opportunities. For more information about fishing and boating in Pennsylvania, please visit our website at www.fishandboat.com.